Wednesday, July 06, 2005

E: My Aussie year

This is a slightly modified version of the speech I held at my farewell in Melbourne 18th of June.

Travelling and studying are the two things that make you grow the most. In Melbourne I have been able to do both.

I came to finish my Journalism bachelor. Haven’t learned all that much from my subjects, but I all the wisdom, knowledge, insight and understanding I have gained from living in Australia and being exposed to different people, culture, climates and so on – corresponds to many many credit points in the school of life.

My year Down Under is the year when I learned Spanish, practiced parenthood, and enhanced my chop sticks skills.

I did have some great Aussie experiences as well. I played netball, watched AFL, and have lived in a country where colourful birds, kangaroos, koalas and camels (only place on earth) live in the wild.

Having tried to describe Australians to others, I struggle a bit. I think what makes Australians Aussies is just that they don’t stick out. The stereotype of laid-back and no worries is truer than I thought – in my experience. There is no need for major patriotism, tensions, conflicts or thinking one’s better than anyone else. If there’s something you don’t know, they are humble enough to admit it. It’s all good.

But I did learn Australians love beer, sports, barbeque and beer. They eat 280 million pies a year. Where Norway has fishing villages, you have surfing towns. The story with the aboriginals is similar to the one we have with laps. My biggest (culture) shock was the fact that many Australians do dishes without rinsing the detergent. Even if you have water restriction and non-poisonous detergent – it’s still very awkward.

I have also travelled and seen magnificent scenery in Queensland, Cental Australia, Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide. In Victoria I’ve been to the Grampians, along the Great Ocean Road and had an excellent weekend in the country (Bendigo/Bridgewater). Ayer’s Rock and the Great Barrier Reef are incredible sights.

I am a people person though, who doesn’t really attach to places. I don’t care too much about what I do, but with whom I doing something.

I was away for a year from July 2000 as well, that time in Las Vegas. But I have known for quite some time already that it would be much harder to leave Australia. My new, close relations are to be blamed.

I have met a bundle of awesome people, with whom I have formed relationships. College life has been an excellent, multicultural and social experience. I’ll miss the lat night movies and even later night snack. It’s been very convenient living at campus, close to school and the greenery of Bundoora.

For the first time in my life I have been part of a bigger group of friends. We have actually bonded to a point when we joke with calling ourselves a family – last name Tu Tu Ru. We are not related to through blood, but love and care. We have formed dependent relationships that will last a life time.

Volleyball, the Melbourne Falcons, have been a wonderful experience too. Committed players have accepted me for the fresh and unskilled middle player I am (I normally play outside), and have not shut me out even though they knew I was leaving after this semester.

As for soccer, the Northern Pumas, has been a social and fun church team. The league does not hold Premier League standard, but the intensity and excitement weighs up.

I was supposed to go to Germany this year. Things happened, and I felt like going to Australia. Of all the cities and universities I could have chosen, I landed on La Trobe. I was blessed with a very smooth transition; Church, volleyball, soccer, college, uni and friends. It all just fell in place.

I don’t think things were as random as they may have appeared at first.

God has been there and I’m very thankful for that. Being a believer, I have been much involved in various Christian activities throughout the year – especially this semester. And the output has been great.

Monday Night Traning Mondays (seminars, talks, food and social), Public Meeting and chat with the Chaplain Peter Leslie Tuesdays, bible study group and church soccer Wednesdays, Focus (international student group) Fridays and church Sundays. All this things have enhanced my Australian experience. It has also made me grow as a Christian – I have become even more Christlike and serious about devoting my whole life to God.

The downside with travelling is that you have to leave someone.
The downside with getting to know people well, is that departing will cause sadness.
But if I hadn’t gone, I wouldn’t have met all these wonderful folks.
And it’s not like anyone’s dying. The world has never been more accessible travel-wise.
I don’t know when, but I know I’ll be back to Australia at some stage.

Good on ya, Australia!

Search Engine Submission and Internet Marketing